Sunday, August 31, 2008

Genesis

I am currently preparing for my CCIE (R&S). Unlike a lot of other networking professionals out there, I havent had a lot of industry experience, although I an beginning to absorb quite a lot in my current role.

The first question that came to my mind when I began preparing for the CCIE was, why should I even think about doing it now, when I havent had a lot of industry exposure. To me, its more like there is no right time because even with a lot of industry experience it still requires one to follow a structured approach. Chances are more likely that we're exposed to certain concepts more often than others. Please note that I am not downplaying the value of industry experience, all I striving for is to inspire those people who probably like me havent had a lot industry experience but have the drive and passion to go through what it takes to become one.

I have a good grasp of the concepts through my engineering background, certifications and I am continuing to build on it, which I believe is the first step. I'd like to quote Brian Dennis from Internetwork Expert "understand the technology", its more like know why you are doing what you are doing. Once you're thorough with your concepts, move onto practicing the technology through workbooks and crazy scenarios from your head.

In my next post, I'll go through the materials that I am using and will use in my preparation.

No comments: