Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dynamips Reduced Processor Utilisation





I am extremely elated to share the good news on my Dynamips test, i.e Internetwork Expert Toplogy . I have got my CPU usage close to 38% - 46%. I had earlier reported my disappointment in not being able to reduce processor utilization below 70%- 80%
And here comes the tip of the day to reduce CPU usage.






Below are System Specs

  • OS :Ubuntu 8.04 64 Bit
  • Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9400
  • IOS image : c3640-jk9o3s-mz.124-10c.bin
Steps to Reduce CPU utilisation
  • Calculate your idlepc using method detailed in the Dynamips/ Dynagen tutorial (Calcuating idlepc values)
  • Start all devices {start /all}
  • Make sure you telnet to all devices and leave it at the router prompt, even if your not using the device. Once all devices have their router prompts you'll see the cpu usage drastically reducing.
I observed during my tests that simply starting all devices would still leave your processor utilisation high. However, telnetting to all devices and leaving them at the router prompt dramatically reduced processor utilization.

No comments: